Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I can't be trusted alone in pet stores...

Especially the ones that sell pets.

As you read in my last journal, I had to go to the pet store to get a rolley ball and bedding for Dulce my mouse and litter for Holiday my cat. Well, when I got Dulce (pronounced Dool-say) she had recently been with a cage mate, who died about 2-3 months before I got Dulce. She originally belonged to a friend who no longer wanted her, so I took Dulce. Mice are typically social creatures and get attached to their cage mates. I noticed that Dulce had been eating more (she's a fat little mouse now) and not running in her wheel as much and it really worried me a bit. So whilst at the store getting bedding for her cage, I saw them. The BUCKET of mice! Okay...not really a bucket, but it was a fish tank FULL of mice. Jeezy Chreezy! SO MANY MICE!!!!
Anyway, I stood there watching the mice, running around (with each other) sleeping (with each other) and eating (with each other) and I really started to feel bad for Dulce. Here she was, all alone in a cage, getting fatter by the minute and seemingly depressed as hell when at my disposal are 10 unbudgeted dollars (it was orignally 20, but half went into savings)Mice are 2.50 a pop. I could get her another mousey friend and STILL have money left over...heck, I could have gotten her THREE more cage mates and still had money left over for like...a soda or something. Long story short (too late) I got two more mice, for Dulce...yeah, it's ALL for Dulce, I get no pleasure from more pets WHATSOEVER.

Their names are Copa and Cabana (girls of course, I don't want any breeding going on, that's the LAST thing I need...two more mice were probably the last thing I needed a couple of days ago but NO MATTER, moving on!)

Copa is a black and white mouse and very adventurous. She was the first out of the two to go down the tube from the 'loft' of the cage to the main compartment where food and the running wheel are kept.

Cabana is all orange with a small white spot on her forehead and red eyes. She is my siesta mouse, you can handle her all you want and she doesn't fidget about nearly as much as Dulce. She also likes to nestle in small nooks (i.e. the inside of your elbow) and she falls asleep. She reminds me of Flower from Bambi, how they are constantly sleeping and barely move when you wake them up.

Dulce is orange and white, kinda like a creamsicle. Ducle means "sweets" in spanish, so I thought it was cute. Dulce is very....jittery, to say the least. She will run away from your hand if you try to pick her up, but once you have her, she doesn't really run away, she just explores.

Copa & Cabana have adjusted well to their new surroundings and I find them sleeping together all the time. Dulce is close by, normally only a few inches away, sleeping by herself, though I have seen her with C&C recently. Oh, and they eat from each others mouths too. And Dulce is using the running wheel again!

In all, I'm glad I got them, cause I know Dulce is happy now.

Holiday on the other hand...he doesn't mind them, he just hates that they are getting more attention than him. For the most part, they crawl on or over him, Holiday ignores it for about 5 minutes, before moving away and lying back down, then the mice find him, he gets aanoyed and moves, the mice follow. It's a different kind of "cat and mouse" game.

I love my pets :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooooooohhhhhh, Leann! Ewwww. Mice? You are a furry friend lover indeed! Well, it sounds like everyone is happy again! Wash your hands often... use clorox wipes! LOL!