Monday, July 21, 2008

Wall-e

Did a review for Wall-e, the new pixar film. Decided I might as well post it here.

I've been meaning to do this for forever and a day now, and seeing as I'm avoiding anything about The Dark Night till I see it this weekend (hopefully), I finally decided to sit down and do this one.

Spoilers ahead fyi, though I'll try to not give too much away

First off, Animation=drooltastic. Like, hoooooly crap. Lighting was done extraordinarily well, and the amount/detail in textures blew my mind. My favorite part was probably when they were showing the captains of the ship, how they went frm real humans to the cartoony ones we see in the movie. I don't know much else when it comes to 3D animation, but I do know this is some of the best I've seen in a while (YAY PIXAR)

The story itself is adorable and how they conveyed human emotion through the robots was moving. It's one of the things I love about animation and why I considered it for so long as my career; the abilty to make none living things seem human, to allow the audience a connection with the character on an emotional level. There are times in this movie when you really feel for Wall-e or Eeve. While yes, this story does have a lesson and there are no undertones about it (PIXAR slaps you in the face with it from the beginning), it's done in such a way that it isn't like a little kids show where they recap it at the end
Kids show host: So kids, we all know how important recyling is now, right?
Kids: YEAH!
Kids show host: Then lets all recycle now, YAY!

If you're a normal kid, chances are you wont catch the undertone, but teens and up will definently see it.

Now onto my favorite part, THE ENDING. No, not the actual end, THE CREDITS! Being an art student, I was required to take Art History I and II. Art History I went from cave painting to medeivel times, just before the renaissance. Art History II went from Renaissance to the 1970's ( I forget the name of that art time XD) If you wanted to learn anything beyond that, a Modern art class it what you needed. Wall-e's ending credits takes a particular style from each Art time, and uses it in the credits, going from cave painting, to pointilism (pointilism is THE DEVIL BITCH to do, too much color theory involved for my liking) to impressionistic and ending in the digital age (pixels), the only reason I believe they went no further than that is because the movie was done in the next big step, 3D animation. The credits made me giddy like a little girl, just ask Salerek or Skwerly.

Overall, anyone and everyone will enjoy this movie. Go see it on the big screen before it comes to DVD. The DVD is sure to be on my wishlist.

No comments: