Saturday, June 28, 2008

Photoshop

Lately, I've been trying to get the hang of photoshop, coloring, making clean lineart, etc.
I'm finding that everything you do on there takes TEN MILLION steps before you get what you wanted, but, after doing it about 5 times, you have the steps memorized and you can do them quickly. My latest excursion in photoshop-land resulted in this:(the resizing on this site makes the picture blurry)

Photobucket

I don't know how I feel about it, it's tiny and cute, but the layering process just about killed me. I'm so much more used to Open Canvas 4.05 in comparison to Photoshop CS3. There, when you layer one color on top of another, the colors blend a bit, giving a good basis for shadow (this is Open Canvas in "multiply" layer mode) But in Photoshop you have to select the color and find a darker shade which goes well with the first color, but they are in completely different layers! The result looks the same (except that of course, Open canvas imitates watercolor and photoshop has a more flat acrylic or gouche (did I spell that right?) feel to it.

I guess it's really just a matter of me getting used to it and learning everything I can about the program, no matter how much I miss Open Canvas. Haha.


IN OTHER NEWS:
Went to Ringling on Wednesday with my dad and step mom. Holy Crap. Like....there are no words for how much I love that school. Who knows, maybe it's just cause it's an art school and I'm so used to community college or UCF and feeling like there isn't anything there for me, now I've seen a school that has EVERYTHING I want and it's like some kind of sensory overload.
But, my dad and step mom went to The Art Institute of Florida (Fort Lauderdale location) and looked around for me and got information (which really is a great help, I just don't have the time to go many places with summer school and work and all that jazz) and my dad said he really liked it more than Ringling (he said it seemed less snooty, I think I was able to ignore the snootiness of Ringling because I was too flabbergasted at everything they had to offer). So I checked out the website and looked into their illustration program curriculum.

Holy Crap!....AGAIN!!! Another school which has what I want and FOR less. If I went to Ringling I'd be getting a major in illustration and visual development. Art Institute (AIF) has everything from Ringlings major and minor I'd be taking, crammed into one degree (save for a few classes, which I'm sure I could take as electives or something). AIF also doesn't start till October, which means I can still get in for fall (the big thing with Ringling is I couldn't get in till January AT THE EARLIEST and even so, I'd be a half-year freshman in January.) I'm obviously leaning towards AIF now, but for some reason, Ringling is still in the back of my head screaming "hey! what about me?!?!?" I guess thats normal, considering how long I've been talking about and thinking about Ringling.

Whatever will be, will be, and it will all turn out for the best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Blogland, my dear! Good for you!! YES, we love AI much better suited for your needs. We had a great feeling... took the tour and feel like it's the place for YOU!! We got you a cd to look at and also the catalog... you need to send your transcripts and we have those forms here also.

FYI... you can get that same blended look in PS by choosing multiply in the top left side of the layers palette! Also, have you played around with all the artist's pallets? The combinations are endless! Come over... we'll play!

Love you! XO